post your comments about candidates’ teeth to our blog. Read the presidential smiles press release
In this survey, we asked dentists which presidential candidate has the best teeth. And the winner was clear: Mitt Romney received just over 50% of the vote!
It's worth noting that Romney also did well in our recent political survey of dentists. The two surveys asked very different questions; that survey asked who should be president, while this one asked simply which candidate has the best teeth. Nonetheless, answers to both surveys were markedly similar, suggesting that dentists' political opinions bleed into their evaluations of candidates' smiles.
Read the dentists’ comments for more insight into their thoughts.
Gender played a clear role in a dentist's analysis of candidates' smiles. Male dentist were overwhelmingly in favor of Mitt Romney (61%), but female dentists did not agree. Women dentist preferred Hillary Clinton's smile (39%) and Barack Obama's (26%) over Romney's (22%).
Geographic location was also correlated dentists' opinions. Rural dentists are almost twice as likely as urban dentists to choose Mitt Romney's smile. On the other hand, urban dentists were more than twice as likely to prefer Hillary Clinton's.
General dentists and dental specialists had similar opinions, though specialists were significantly more likely to prefer Romney's smile to all other candidates.
Talk dental to me
- “Barack Obama has beautiful smile. He is just blessed with good genetics. His teeth appear to be aligned in an almost ideal Angles Class I occlusion. From a dental esthetic standpoint, the other presidential candidates don't have a chance." (Illinois dentist)
- "Mitt Romney's are best. Thompson bruxes. Huckalberry Hound needs a palatal expander." (Michigan dentist)
- “I like Barack Obama's teeth; they appear natural. Romney's look nice, too. I'm guessing they are laminates or crowns." (Tennessee dentist)
Mitt Romney's teeth are amazing
- “Mitt Romney's smile looks store bought, but I still like it."
- "Mitt Romney's smile looks really good." (Dental specialist)
- “Even Mitt Romney's smile line fits his face. Plus, he doesn't try to smile too big." (Virginia dentist)
Give it up for Hillary Clinton's smile
- “Hillary Clinton has the best overall smile, well-proportioned with her facial features." (Wisconsin dentist)
- "Hillary Clinton's smile is good." (Nepal dentist)
- “Hillary Clinton, I guess. Really none of them, they're all a bunch of old farts." (New York orthodontist)
Support for Barack's teeth
- “Barack Obama. I think as Commander in Chief a great smile is important because you are constantly in the public eye. Your smile should be cosmetically pleasing for image, a boost for dentistry as a whole, and an invaluable tool in building rapport for communication to America and the world." (Georgia dentist)
Support for a candidates teeth does not mean political support
- “I would have to say Barack Obama. Yes, it's sad, but true: the worst possible choice for President has the best smile!" (Arkansas dentist)
- “Pretty boy Mitt is obviously obsessive regarding his 'persona.' I'm sure his teeth are near perfect."
- "Barack Obama has the best teeth but is a bad candidate!!" (Mississippi dentist)
- “Clinton has good teeth but bad politics. Romney has good teeth, but is way too slick. Huckabee has good politics and would be helped by ortho." (Pediatric dentist)