Post your comments about mouthguards to our blog.
In this survey, we asked dentists about mouthguards and the PPM. Fully nine out of ten dentists surveyed believe mouthguards can improve athletic performance.
That’s a claim made by the inventor of the Pure Power Mouthguard (PPM), a device designed with neuromuscular principles in mind. The goal of the PPM is to improve breathing (and therefore performance) by allowing the airways to relax.
While general dentists are quite taken with the PPM, specialists are far less convinced. Of those who responded to this survey, only one in three said that a mouthguard can make you a better athlete.
"The double-blind research studies are coming out, but you need to ask the athletes who are using them and have seen the increase in strength, flexibility and balance," said one general dentist. "Terrell Owens has actually been timed running faster with his PPM in."
Every last one of the dentists who offer the Pure Power Mouthguard believe mouthguards can improve performance, and they offered rave reviews. “Absolute improvement! It's the science behind it,” said one.
Among dentists who don’t sell the PPM, only three-quarters (77%) were convinced a mouthguard can make a better athlete.
Where’s the proof?
- "Until we see a proven clinical study, specifically with the Pure Power mouthguard – there is no proof that it works. Anyone remember Breathe Rite strips? They supposedly increased oxygen flow, but were shown to do nothing.” (General dentist)
- "There are companies making outlandish claims of performance enhancement and concussion prevention, neither proven in the literature. These claims are very misleading and can cause false sense of accomplishment and security, for both dentists and patients.” (California dentist)
Dentists love the PPM
- “The PPM is by far the best mouthguard on the market today.” (Massachusetts dentist)
- “I'm not yet registered to offer the PPM, but refer to a nearby dentist who is. It is just a matter of time before I'll be providing them!!” (Australia dentist)
- “It is the best thing to happen to the dentistry and the public since bonding agents! This will forever change the face of sports, not to mention the dental world.” (California dentist)
All mouthguards are not created equal
- “The PPM is the only mouthguard that can help obtain peak performance. The others can actually decrease your performance. Jaw position is paramount to achieving optimum performance.” (Minnesota dentist)
- "There are MANY types of mouthguards. The only one that can increase athletic performance, especially in weightlifting, is a Splint/Nightguard fabricated with Neuromuscular principles in mind. Any other type, I doubt, would improve performance. It has been documented by weightlifters. A mouthguard is a mouthguard, and a Neuromuscular Splint is something formed with harmony of the muscles in mind, not just something to fit over the teeth to protect them from wear. Most of these type mouthguards, although they may protect the teeth from wear, actually INCREASE clenching, because your posterior teeth want to ‘chew’ on anything covering them like that.” (North Carolina dentist)
- "Yes without question mouthguards can improve athletic performance, like the MORA (mandibular oral repositioning appliance) made by Dr Richard Kaufman, an orthodontist. Try the arm test by holding an arm horizontal and resist someone pushing it down. Attempt with mouth open and then teeth clenched. There's usually a big difference." (South Carolina dentist)
It’s hard to sell expensive products
- “Patient usually reject due to cost. Sport stores sell them for 3-5 dollars. I charge 350+ with custom colors and recommend different types for different sports.” (Indiana dentist)
- “It's almost impossible to get kids to get them, when the cheap ones are provided for free through the athletic departments.” Arkansas dentist)
Anecdotal support from athletes
- “The double-blind research studies are coming out, but you need to ask the athletes who are using them and have seen the increase in strength, flexibility and balance. Terrell Owens has actually been timed running faster with his PPM in.” (California dentist)
- “A 15-year-old football player patient of mine recently received PPM. According to his dad, he is kicking the ball 40% farther. 70 yard punts and 45 yard FG's!” (Canada dentist)
- “I have seen remarkable results such as an increase in shot put of 8 inches and a pitcher who dramatically increased the speed of his pitching.” (Illinois dentist)
- “I know this works! I wouldn't run without it.” (Canada dentist)
- “I personally have seen the results. At least a 20% increase in reps, increased endurance and improved balance. Everything said is TRUE.” (Florida dentist)
- “The Russians were doing this years ago with their weightlifters.” (Australia dentist)
Advances in neuromuscular science
- “The PPM is based on the sound and well-documented principles of neuromuscular dentistry. I have personally seen immediate and powerful improvements in athletic performance in every instance.” (New York dentist)
- “Academia needs to learn more about neuromuscular benefits and how the body interacts. It is way past time to keep heads buried in the sand.” (Virginia dentist)
- “I am certain that altering the position of the mandible in the correct manner will allow better strength and balance for most athletes!” (Virginia dentist)
- “It's not the plastic but the position! Improved performances are just amazing.” (California dentist)
- “Not only can it make athletic performance better, but it offers relief for TMJ symptoms, i.e., headaches, neck tension, etc.” (Texas dentist)
Note: Survey sample included 168 respondents.