Post your comments about demand for teeth whitening to our blog.
Two out of three dentists say they’ve noticed a decrease in demand for tooth whitening since the recession began.
"Once the illegal ‘whitening kiosks’ in the malls and spas are closed, we will see another increase in whitening demand, opined one dentist.
doctors have had to come up with new dental marketing strategies to counteract the decline in consumer interest for tooth whitening, cosmetic dentistry, and virtually anything else that costs money.
“We dropped the price by $50 during February for National Children’s Dental Health Month and Valentine's Day," said one general dentist. "The response was so good, we continued through March! In addition, we are receiving now referrals from these patients for more bleaching and new patients. That is a hell of a ROI on the bleaching!"
Why whitening is awesome
- “The added benefit of whitening as part of the Perio protect treatment helps me sell the case (Perio protect) at a substantially higher profit with less chair time." (Texas dentist)
- “Teeth whitening is the least costly way to improve the appearance of the entire mouth." (General dentist)
No one wants to spend money
- “If it costs money, there is less demand these days." (Indiana dentist)
- “People are afraid to spend any money." (Nevada dentist)
More interest in teeth bleaching?
- “I have actually seen an increase in the number of bleaching cases that I have delivered in the past months. A majority of the patients were males. We used to have more females bleaching their teeth, but recently males have out numbered the females." (California dentist)
- “We dropped the price by $50 during February for NCDHM and Valentine's day. The response was so good, we continued through March! In addition to the happy bleachie, we are receiving referrals from these patients for more bleaching and new patients. That is a hell of a ROI on the bleaching!" (Wisconsin dentist)
Less interest in whitening?
- “The drop started before the recession." (Georgia dentist)
- “I think it's also the availability of many OTC choices." (Texas dentist)
- “I use Zoom 2, but it doesn't work for many cases. Then I have to refund the patient or not charge at all." (California prosthodontist)
Whitening now available at the mall
- “Once the illegal whitening kiosks in the malls and spas are closed, we will see another increase in whitening demand." (General dentist)
- “Teeth whitening is being offered in malls and in hair salons." (General dentist)
- "How about those shopping mall bleaching kiosks – are they playing a role in reducing demand?" (Minnesota dentist)
Note: Survey sample included 101 respondents.