News From The Wealthy Dentist #89: March 19, 2008
Editorial: Jim Du Molin
By now you’ve heard that lead has been found in a few dental crowns manufactured in China. You’re probably wondering if this is a big deal. Well, this week I’ll let you know how it might affect your dental practice. Up to 25% of US dentists use foreign-made crowns and bridges, and many don’t know it. Could you be one of
them? Make sure to vote in my survey on foreign dental labs, too.
Click to learn more…
Survey Results: Patient Travel Distance
When we asked dentists how far their average patient travels for treatment, most said about 5-10 miles. However, anecdotes abound of patients who have kept their dentists even after moving hundreds or thousands of miles away. Not surprisingly, rural patients travel farther for treatment than do urban residents. “Some patients will travel 30+ miles,” wrote a rural dentist, “and
then there is the fellow who comes twice a year from the Netherlands…”
Sedation Dentistry through Hypnosis?
Could hypnosis be the next frontier of sedation dentistry? A 45-year-old UK woman had her two front teeth replaced with dental implants using no anesthetic whatsoever. She was hypnotized by Mike Gow, president of the British Society of Medical and Dental Hypnosis before receiving treatment from a cosmetic dentist.
Click to continue…
Dental Practice Construction: Weekly Update
At Machias Dental, the work focus is shifting from the exterior of the building to the interior
(the fun part of the building!). Just as the Sparagas were about to have the desks, cabinets and shelving built, the subcontractor backed out of the job.
Click to continue…
What’s on My Bookshelf This Week
The Marketing Gurus: Lessons from the Best Marketing Books of All Time
– by Chris Murray
Perhaps you don’t have time right now to read the top 17 marketing books of the past 15 years. No need! Author Chris Murray has condensed them into easily digestible summaries that give excellent insight into the inner workings of the marketing world. Want to buy the book?
Also in the News…
- Energy Drinks Do a Number on Patients’ Teeth
- “Green Dentistry” Arrives in the UK
- Spa Dentistry Design in the Hot Seat
- Dentists Split Over Regular Patient Mailings
- Dental School: The New Gender Battleground
- Majority of Dentists Prefer the GOP
- Dental School Graduates Unprepared for Real-World Dentistry
- Dating Coworkers: One in 5 Dentists Has Done It
- Tooth Whitening Not Always a Gateway to More Cosmetic Dentistry
Previous Editorial Highlights…
- Chinese Dental Labs Turn Lead into Gold…?
- Gender and Dental School: The Secret Role of Alumni Donations
- It Turns Out That Gender Discrimination Is a Controversial Topic
- Mars and Venus Go to Dental School
- How Office Romance Can Lead to Divorce, Embezzlement, and Worse