News From The Wealthy Dentist #90: March 26, 2008
Editorial: Jim Du Molin
Dentists depend on dental labs, but not all dentists know much about the lab business. For example, the Chinese dental labs that export to the US have hundreds of employees, operate 24 hours a day, and may offer on-site employee housing. And even if you’re using a US lab, you still might be getting imported products.
What you need to know…
Survey Results: Sedation Dentistry Services
When we asked dentists about the highest level of sedation dentistry they offer to their patients, responses were across the board. Some offer full anesthesia; others offer OCS; others offer no sedation services. A number of dentists voiced their preference for IV sedation. “It’s the platinum of sedation without side effects,” wrote a prosthodontist. “I would lose over half my practice without dental sedation,” said another dentist. But one dentist worried, “With some of the practitioners I’ve seen, conscious sedation is a catastrophe waiting to happen.”
Click to continue…
Dentistry, Dental Health & Diabetes
Dental researchers at NYU have found evidence that gum disease can lead to diabetes in pregnant women. Women suffering from periodontal disease were more likely to develop gestational diabetes than expectant mothers with healthy teeth and gums. Gestational diabetes has been linked to pre-term deliveries and raises a woman’s chance of developing Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes.
Click to continue…
- Dental Patients and How Far They Travel
- Dentists Split Over Regular Patient Mailings
- Dental School: The New Gender Battleground
- Majority of Dentists Prefer the GOP
- Dental School Graduates Unprepared for Real-World Dentistry
- Dating Coworkers: One in 5 Dentists Has Done It
Previous Editorial Highlights…
- Foreign Dental Labs Cause Health Scare over Lead Content
- Chinese Dental Labs Turn Lead into Gold…?
- Gender and Dental School: The Secret Role of Alumni Donations
- It Turns Out That Gender Discrimination Is a Controversial Topic
- Mars and Venus Go to Dental School
- How Office Romance Can Lead to Divorce, Embezzlement, and Worse
Dental Practice Resources
Yes, you want new equipment. No, you don’t have to spend a lot. Here’s how!