Dental Consultants Press Release


Two Out of Five Dentists Using Dental Consultants

Approximately 40% of dentists are using dental consultants in their practices, according to a Wealthy Dentist survey. That means that three out of five dentists are not using a dental marketing consultant or practice management consultant, either because they have never tried or because they have been unimpressed with the results of consultants they have used in the past.

(Tiburon, California) April 13, 2007 – Most dentists are not currently using a dental consultant in their practices. In a recent dental survey by The Wealthy Dentist, 41% of dentists reported that their practices are currently using consultants for marketing and/or dental practice management. Of the remaining 59% not using consultants, some have never tried, whereas others have tried consultants in the past and been disappointed with the results.

Rural dentists are distinctly more likely to use a consultant than suburban dentists, who in turn are more likely to use one than urban dentists. The reasons for this are unclear, but it may be that urban dentists are more able to rely on high-visibility locations to attract new patients than their rural counterparts. This could leave rural dentists more likely to seek the assistance of dental marketing consultants.

A general dentist from North Carolina summed up what a dental consultant should offer a practice: “The consultant must design the program for me and coach me and my office, not just pull something out of a can and say ‘Here it is, I hope it fits,’ – or worse yet, ‘I did my part, you just wouldn’t make the recommended changes.’ Each practice is different and to work with a practice or an athlete, both parties (doctor and consultant) must think outside of the box.”

“I have in the past used consultants, but not a one has ever been able to get me more patients,” complained a Connecticut dentist. An Iowa doctor echoed the feeling: “I have tried, but have not been satisfied as of yet.”

Specialists were particularly likely to feel that consultants did not understand the nature of their practices, a fact that may explain why specialists are less likely to employ a dental consultant in their practice. “I have tried using consultants, but none came through for me,” commented a pediatric dentist from Florida. “Most do not understand pediatric dentistry, and it was a waste of money.”

A number of dentists like to shop around, employing a variety of resources to meet their marketing and practice management needs. For example, one general dentist from Alaska uses a combination of resources, including two CPA firms and a continuing education group.

In addition to sponsoring weekly surveys, The Wealthy Dentist also offers dental marketing consultant services. This left at least one doctor suspicious of the motivations behind this survey question. “Yawn,” wrote a Michigan orthodontist. “Isn’t this a subversive marketing ploy disguised as a question/survey? Pah-leeeze!”

In response to that comment, Wealthy Dentist founder Jim Du Molin chuckled. “Over the years, I’ve seen more marketing ploys than most dentists could imagine. Yes, I have experience as a dental management consultant, but I find all the new clients I need without using surveys as direct marketing. I’m just fascinated to learn more about what dentists think and how they run their businesses. I mean, dentists see 30 million Americans each month! How can you not want to know what they’re thinking?”

For additional information on this and other Wealthy Dentist surveys, visit

About The Wealthy Dentist:

The Wealthy Dentist is a dental marketing and practice management resource featuring dental consultant Jim Du Molin. The site’s weekly surveys and dental newsletters are viewed by thousands of dentists across the United States and Canada. The Wealthy Dentist is a sister company of the Internet Dental Alliance, Inc. ( IDA is the largest provider of dental internet marketing websites, email patient newsletters and dental directories in North America.

Dental Marketing and Management for More New Dental Patients


Jim Du Molin

© 2018 The Wealthy Dentist ® - Dental Marketing - All Rights Reserved - Dental Website Marketing Site Map ® - Contact by email - Privacy Policy

P.O. Box 1220, Tiburon, CA 94920

The material on this website is offered in conjunction with MasterPlan Alliance.

All rights reserved. If you would like to use material from this site, our reports, articles, training programs
or tutorials for use in any printed or electronic media, please ask permission first by email.